Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.

We have a neighbor who has several children. One of the children

We have a neighbor who has several children. One of the children is a 6-7 year old girl. The little girl screeches continually. I'm not exaggerating when I say that we hear the screech in our house with the windows closed. One time we were outside when she started screeching and my husband, who raised two daughters, asked her to be quiet, which she did. A few days later, when she was screeching, my husband spoke to her parents. He explained that he doesn't mind "outdoor" voices or when the kids are playing, but the screeching is too much. The parents agreed to stop the girl from screeching. This afternoon, the little girl was sitting in her backyard just screeching and screeching. My husband whistled out the backdrop. The kind of whistle that is very loud and might call a dog. The little girl went into the house. Then, later tonight, she started up again and my husband spoke to her father. My husband explained again that using "outdoor" voices and having fun is fine, but the screeching is too much.
At the end of the conversation, the girl's father said, "you won't do this again" in a thinly veiled threat.
As an aside, we put up with this screeching all last year, hoping she would grow out of it and didn't say anything, and another neighbor knocked on our door a few weeks ago and thanked us for stopping the little girl's screeching a few weeks ago. I understand that the last to points are moot. Finally, my husband raised two girls and the neighbor has two little girls, so we all understand tat children are loud, especially outside, but the screeching is way beyond kids having fun.

My question: What can we do and what if the screeching girl's family retaliates in some way?

Thank you for your help.

Welcome and thank you for your question

I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

Well, as long as she is not breaking any local noise ordinance, there is nothing that can be done. People, even children, have a right to make noise. I am sure it is very annoying and frustrating. But you cannot make someone keep quiet unless it is disturbing the peace and that would only occur if there is a noise ordinance in your county/town. That is usually a restriction that limits noise before 7 am or after 10 pm

I am not sure what you mean "retaliate" what do you think he might do?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm not sure what the threshold for disturbing the peace is, but I would guess that the frequency and volume of the screeching would qualify.

As gar as retaliating, I'm not sure, but in my admitted paranoia, I guess I think that they could do something to our yard or something like that, but I can't say for sure that they would do anything.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you and I appreciate your help!

Well, how about you try this

Write them a letter to be mailed certified with a return receipt requested and in the letter state that the Screeching is just to much to bear.

State what you have told them about normal outside playing. But that this is like nails on a chalk board and just too much to handle.

In the meantime, call you City/Town Council and get a copy of any noise ordinance. I am unable to locate the local ordinances online or I would get it for you

Read what that says - and you may feel that she is in violation of that. If so include a copy of it in your letter with a request that they PLEASE try to curtail her behavior.

Mail the letter certified with a return receipt requested and see what the response is. Maybe you can get your neighbors to sign the letter to show community support and that it is not just you and your husband who is annoyed by it

Of course, you cannot do anything about any retaliation until it happens. But if it does, you call the police and report it, naming your neighbor as a suspect and show them a copy of the letter you mailed which would show cause as to why they might retaliate.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much for your help, we certainly appreciate it!