Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I work for a company that uses a travel agency to book our

I work for a company that uses a travel agency to book our business travel and charge the airline tickets to the company credit card. When the credit card bill arrives an administrative assistant in the offices codes each charge as to which business reason the travel was made. I recently made a business trip and booked an extension of the trip to a different city. The tickets were on the bill as clearly separate charges. Other employees make airline reservations this same way and pay the company by check for their portion of the trip by check when the credit card bill arrives. On the bill that included my charges the administrative assistant coded that both airline tickets for myself were for business and did not notifiy me that the additional trip was included on the bill.

The finance department receive the bill with incorrect coded information and notified me that I was to pay double the amount of my personal ticket. When I approached them and asked why I was told, that's the way we do things. I protested and consulted my supervisor who agreed that I have properly booked my ticket and all I should be responsible for is the separate amount that was charged for my personal travel.

After my supervisor told the finance department of his decision they were highly upset and told my supervisor that I was trying to steal from the company by trying to get the company to pay for my personal ticket. My supervisor then wrote a notice to me that I need to be mindful of the way I code bills and any signs of wrong doing in the future could result in termination.

This is a small privately owned company and the finance department (3 people)has begun chatter around the office that I was attempting to swindle the company. The fact is that I did not code the bill, the assistant did. I never saw the bill until I was accused of fraud and then I immediately wrote a check for my portion of the ticket. The 3 people in finance are insisting that I personally coded the bill and are not accepting any other explination. The assistant made the error, but has not told the finance department that it was her fault and I never saw the bill. What recourse do I have? Can I sue these 3 people for libel?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

JD 1992 :

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

JD 1992 :

Suing them for libel/slander would be the only recourse you had under these facts.

JD 1992 :

However, you need to be aware that slander cases are very limited in the damages that are awarded and it isn't unusual for someone to spend more on a case than they actually recover at the end of it.

JD 1992 :

Attorney's rarely take these cases on a % basis and, in addition, attorney's fees are generally not recoverable in a slander/libel case.

Customer:

I really don't care about recovering any damages, I just want them to stop and apologize for their mistake, but they are refusing to meet with me further or the assistant that coded the bill. I could possibly loose my job because of "rumors."

JD 1992 :

If the money isn't an issue then this would appear to be a pretty easy case to prove slander/libel.

JD 1992 :

The facts are definitely in your favor.

Customer:

Thanks.

JD 1992 :

You're welcome.

JD 1992 :

Best wishes to you on this and please don't forget to leave a Positive Rating (of course I’d suggest Excellent!) so I get credit for my work.

JD 1992 :

Also, if you remember drop back by and let me know how it turns out. Once you issue your positive rating this question will lock open and no longer time out and you can come back to it anytime in the future.

Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience: Began practicing law in 1992
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for the Positive Rating. Please come back and visit us if you have any new questions and feel free to ask for me by placing “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line or as the first words of your question and I will pick up as soon as I see it.