TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

had a civil judgement filed against me in 2003 in the amount

had a civil judgement filed against me in 2003 in the amount of 2700.00 from State Farm insurance, they suspended my license and now to get it back, the attorney handling the case is saying i need to pay a total of 5000.00 lump sum. Is this an accurate amount and is there something i can do to help my case...a speedy reply would be greatly appreciated....thank you

Thank you for your question.

The fact that the attorney is asking for $5k now when the judgment was for $2700 means that there has been post judgment interest added to the unpaid amount, which is generally required under the law for any judgment which remains unpaid. In Hawaii, the post judgment interest rate is 10% per year. Thus, you actually would owe $5,400.00 on the judgment on a straight interest calculation.

So, this seems like a good offer. It also means that there may be further room to compromise and you should try to make an offer under $5,000 to see if the lawyer would be interested in taking it.