Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

My local Kansas Chamber of Commerce requested bids on several

My local Kansas Chamber of Commerce requested bids on several items and we were not the successful bidder. Do I have the right to know who and what the winning bid was?
The answer is yes. Now, they may not automatically make this public record, but it is, via KS Statutes: Ch 45 Article 2 (open records act). See here.

This is done by sending a certified letter request. A sample of such a letter may be found here (simply fill in the blanks and it will generate a request letter). Then, the chamber of commerce should give the information.

Now, the chamber of commerce may not be a government agency, but as long as it is one of the following, the open records act in KS applies to it:

Nongovernmental bodies: Includes any entity receiving or expending and supported in whole or part by public funds. K.S.A. 45-217(f)(1). Does not include entities receiving public funds in return for property, goods, or services. K.S.A. 45-217(e)(2)(a).

Advisory boards and commissions, quasi-governmental entities: These are subject to the act if publicly funded. Op.Atty.Gen. 88-48 (1986).

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)