How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question

LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 19465
Experience:  8+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

a creditor has judgement against me.I negotiated a payment

Resolved Question:

a creditor has judgement against me.I negotiated a payment plan.I was able to make two payments on time. I was late in sending the third and last payment two weeks late.the debt collection agency wants me to pay $500.00 more as a late payment fee. What is my legal right to override the original judgement in light of of this unreasonable demand?
I look forward to your answer.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Can you please clarify for me what you mean when you are asking about overriding the original judgment? Are you asking about vacating it through the court?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes,Vacating it through the court

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.
Al, thank you for the additional information. Relief can be granted under Rule 60(b), if you are able to show good cause and meet the elements stated within. There is going to have to be a legal basis to support your motion and the decision by the agency to charge an additional fee of $500, would not be a basis for the Judge to vacate it and then allow you to proceed and defend the cause of action, at this time. Moreover, if you are acknowledging that the debt is owed and you have no legal defenses to contest it, you will be back in the same position as you are now, with a judgment against you. In the event that you can not get them to waive or reduce this fee and allow you to become current, they will likely try and enforce the judgment through garnishment or going after any other assets which you may have.

Rule 60. Relief from judgment or order.
(a) Clerical mistakes. – Clerical mistakes in judgments, orders or other parts of the
record and errors therein arising from oversight or omission may be corrected by the judge at
any time on his own initiative or on the motion of any party and after such notice, if any, as the
judge orders. During the pendency of an appeal, such mistakes may be so corrected before the
appeal is docketed in the appellate division, and thereafter while the appeal is pending may be
so corrected with leave of the appellate division.
(b) Mistakes; inadvertence; excusable neglect; newly discovered evidence; fraud, etc. –
On motion and upon such terms as are just, the court may relieve a party or his legal
representative from a final judgment, order, or proceeding for the following reasons:
(1) Mistake, inadvertence, surprise, or excusable neglect;
(2) Newly discovered evidence which by due diligence could not have been
discovered in time to move for a new trial under Rule 59(b);
(3) Fraud (whether heretofore denominated intrinsic or extrinsic),
misrepresentation, or other misconduct of an adverse party;
(4) The judgment is void;
(5) The judgment has been satisfied, released, or discharged, or a prior
judgment upon which it is based has been reversed or otherwise vacated, or
it is no longer equitable that the judgment should have prospective
application; or
(6) Any other reason justifying relief from the operation of the judgment.
The motion shall be made within a reasonable time, and for reasons (1), (2) and (3) not more
than one year after the judgment, order, or proceeding was entered or taken. A motion under
this section does not affect the finality of a judgment or suspend its operation. This rule does
not limit the power of a court to entertain an independent action to relieve a party from a
judgment, order, or proceeding, or to set aside a judgment for fraud upon the court. The
procedure for obtaining any relief from a judgment, order, or proceeding shall be by motion as
prescribed in these rules or by an independent action.
(c) Judgments rendered by the clerk. – The clerk may, in respect of judgments rendered
by himself, exercise the same powers authorized in sections (a) and (b). The judge has like
powers in respect of such judgments. Where such powers are exercised by the clerk, appeals
may be had to the judge in the manner provided by law. (1967, c. 954, s. 1.)

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 19465
Experience: 8+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
LegalKnowledge and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions