Thank you, Amie.
1) You can divorce your husband here in USA - you do not have to go back to India. Know that a divorce takes at minimum 60 days (assuming that he is in agreement to divorce you).
2) I am afraid that your fiance cannot come over on a B2 visa if you intend to marry them. When someone enters on a B2 visa, they should not have "dual intent." Dual intent means that one intends to stay in the US as an immigrant. A B2 visa does not allow dual intent. See here
for the explanation.
3) USCIS might be afraid that the individual who is coming on a B2 visa may be trying to overstay and/or have dual intent, so they will generally not allow them to do so.
4) As such, it is best to get married abroad, and then sponsor them for an H4 (spousal derivative visa) via your H1B.
5) Alternatively, they can simply not tell USCIS their real objective when filing for the B2
, and then come here, wait at least 90 days, get married to you, and adjust to the H4. However, this is not good because (a) they would be lying to the government which is a criminal act, and (b) if USCIS finds out that this was planned all along, their B2 and/or H4 may be denied and they may be asked to leave the country.
6) As such, it is best
that after your divorce, you marry abroad, and then simply request them via an H4 visa.
Please note: I aim to give you genuine
information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.
Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY
button to keep chatting, or RATE
my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces
and then submit
, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct.
I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating