Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

If a complaint for fraud has been filed against an attorney

If a complaint for fraud has been filed against an attorney in Civil Court, does the Arbitrator have the legal jurisdiction to rule on it? What CCPs can I look for to find answers

Kirk Adams : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for using JA!
Kirk Adams : An arbitrator can decide any matter that the parties agree to submit to him/her. Thus, an arbitrator's authority generally only exists IF the parties to the action agree to grant such authority.
Kirk Adams : Thus, an arbitrator can rule on an issue like this. Here's a link to the California Code regarding arbitrators: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=ccp&group=01001-02000&file=1282-1284.3
Kirk Adams : HOWEVER, a civil claim for fraud is different than filing a complaint against the attorney with the state bar association. which could result in discipline such as disbarment, suspension, etc.