dylatess, Attorney
Experience:  37 plus years representing clients with their legal issues

My wife took her own life in April. She passed away at the

My wife took her own life in April. She passed away at the Palomar Medical Center in Escondido, CA, on April 23rd. She was 63. I was in India at that time because my father had passed away there in March! A back-to-back double tragedy in my life! I am now saddled with hospital and other medical bills totaling $92,000. I earn less than $25,000 a year. My wife had no health insurance of any kind. She was a massage therapist earning less than $20,000 a year. I cannot afford to pay this huge bill in this lifetime. I applied for retroactive MediCal for her but it was denied. I live in an old 1967 mobile home. My wife and I are the joint owners of this mobile home. We don't own the land though. Please advice me on my legal options. I am from India but am a US citizen. My late wife was born here. I live in California.

Hello and thank you for your question. For over 34 years I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.

The simplest and cheapest solution, though always not the most appealing, is to file a chapter 7 bankruptcy. That way, these bills and any others are discharged. Likewise, your mobile home is protected and you will not lose it. It also does not affect your income. And you can file on your own and save the costs of attorney fees as there are BK services available at nominal costs. I wish you well.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Mr. Dylatess, Thank You for your prompt answer. I was advised by an attorney on that I first go through the Probate process and that Bankruptcy should be my last option. Be that as it may, I am looking for a simple and hassle-free legal solution to my late wife's huge medical debts. Another lawyer suggested that I contact the Hospital and tell them about my financial inability to pay the bills. Is that a wise thing to do?? I mailed my wife's Death Certificate to the hospital and other medical agencies only recently. I have not recd. any legal notices asking me to pay these bills, so far. What are the options available before me? I am looking for something easy and uncomplicated. Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

PS: Can the Hospital really take away my mobile home if they want to?

Though what you were told to are correct, they are NOT the easiest, fastest, and least upsetting options. Likewise, the hospital can say no, probate costs lots of money, and your agaravation and frustration is at stake. That is why filing a BK is the simplest solution.

Please rate my answer ok or better so that I am compensated for assisting you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX Your answer gives me some insight into this Probate thing. Alright, how do I go about filing for bankruptcy on my own?

Is it a very complicated and lengthy process? I live in San Diego County, CA. Will my bankruptcy filing reduce my Available Credit on my new (since May this year) Visa credit card? Can Visa hike up my APR? Any helpful tips in this regard would be highly appreciated. If there is no other simple way I might as well look into BK filing. So where do you suggest I begin?Don't worry, I will give you a high rating. Thanks once again.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

I would be happy to explain the BK process to you. However, what you are asking is not a follow up question but a new question. Likewise, I have answered your original and follow up question. Please be so kind as to rate my answers ok or better. Otherwise I am not compensated. Further, please post your new question and ask for me. I will then be happy to explain the BK process. I wish you well.