Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

we, my husband and I, have a property (for 8 years) in Puerto

Customer Question

we, my husband and I, have a property (for 8 years) in Puerto Rico. It was
purchased as an unsegregated property which we can only sell for cash. It is
unregistered. At this time we are trying to get it registered.

we have given our son power of attorney to be present in court for this procedure.
He recently had an accident and can no longer keep this position or represent us in
their court.

What can be done.

Inspite of the power of attorney...can either my husband or myself be in court to
register our property?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your son's accident.

Yes. A power of attorney allows someone to act on your behalf for a specific purpose if you are unable to do so. It does not prevent you from acting for yourself, if you are able. The only exception is when a power of attorney is appointed by a judge after a finding that someone is incompetent.

A power of attorney can also be revoked, so if you were concerned that the power of attorney could create a problem, you and your husband could just sign new documents canceling the power of attorney.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience: Lawyer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I still need to know ,having been given a court date this sept, if

there will be many petitioners present on that day and will our

petition be resolved on that day...or will we be forced to wait a

turn to speak because there are so many petitions to be heard -

in other words not delaying our return to New York and having

to wait in very long lines

I have my own medical issues that make it most uncomfortable

to sit or stand in long, long lines.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry, but there's no way for me to know how many people might be in court that date, which will directly impact if your petition is resolved. The best way to get that information is to call the court and see if they can tell you how many people are usually there and how long it takes for the judge to make a decision. If it's going to be a long, involved process, you may be able to look into hiring a PR attorney to go for you.