Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer and legal specialist.

my fiancee broke off our engagement in the state of virginia

Customer Question

my fiancee broke off our engagement in the state of virginia and moved out. she refused to return the ring to me. is there a law in virginia on who gets the ring
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question today, I look forward to assisting you. I bring nearly 20 years of legal experience in various disciplines.

Unfortunately, Virginia does not follow most other states in this matter.

Most other states consider an engagement ring a conditional gift, meaning that the ring has to be returned if the marriage is not consummated. Virginia passed a law though in 1968 making it so that a person can not sue for breach of a promise to marry or alienation of affection. Courts in Virginia have held that if you can't sue for breach of a promise to marry, you can't sue for damages from that breach either (the loss of the ring).

The weight of the current case law on this issue in your state reveals that courts will look at it as an unconditional gift and she won't have to return it.