Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

Hi, I have a guy that drop off a truck engine to me over ten

Hi, I have a guy that drop off a truck engine to me over ten year's ago at my engine shop and he want's it back, well I don't have any more I call him many times before this and he never came for it, what should I do
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

How long did you have the engine before you got rid of it? What was the agreement that the two of you had when he left it there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when it was done come and get it, I had it for 9 years
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
If you were supposed to work on it and return, and you tried nine years ago to return it to him and he never responded to calls or otherwise evidenced any intent to claim it, it is much too late for him to claim it now. First, the property is abandoned. Second, the statute of limitations to recover personal property is only three years. Wis. Stat., Section 893.54. Even if he could show that you had a contract requiring you to return it, the statute of limitations would be six years. He has no legal basis for returning after 10 years and insisting that you return something that he clearly showed he didn't want.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now what if he is saying that I never call him, what should do then, he has not said that yet but I could see him doing something like that, he is a sue happy type of guy
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
If he is willing to perjure himself, which is illegal, then you are allowed to defend yourself. His actions show that he is lying - if he really was calling, why would he not sue for ten years? The judge is allowed to use common sense when weighing evidence.

But, again, the statute of limitations has long since expired. The statute of limitations is a complete defense. He cannot recover from you now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for your time
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. Have a good day.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience: Lawyer