Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer

we recently moved to a new home, the moving company had us

we recently moved to a new home, the moving company had us sign a document prior to that move. The movers were supposed to take 8 hours moving our things from one home to the other but showed up with a smaller truck and 1 less mover than stated so the move took two full days. and they made us pay for the extra day. Once the furniture was off loaded and placed in new home we noticed that they had scratched the majority of our furniture, broke a lamp over the kitchen, cracked a LED TV, Scratched our brand new refrigerator, broke the computer screen attached to the fridge and totally scratched our tread climber. the tread climber and fridge were 2 months old and stainless steel on fridge is destroyed. They also broke our in wall microwave and scratched the wood floors. The move should have cost 800 dollars but we had to pay almost 1700. When I filed the claim they came back with a resolution of $187. They said they were only responsible for the damage up to the weight of each item which was 0.60 per pound. I understand that is what the document said but they had no regard for our belonging, they didn't even wrap our $3000 fridge and actually dragged our $3000 tread climber on its sides. There were foot prints on our furniture and even though they wrapped things those were even scratched or broken. Is there anything we can do about this, the move was horrible and I am at a loss of what to do. Thank you

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

First, if you requested a truck of a certain size and a certain number of movers, and that it what they agreed to provide, then they were in violation of the agreement by sending fewer items and not enough movers. You may be able to sue in Small Claims Court for a refund of the amounts that you spent that you would not have had to pay if they had provided the right size truck and right number of movers. Another option is to report them to the Attorney General's Office for unfair and deceptive practices (quoting for one service, providing another and then charging nearly double because they did not deliver what they promised). If you let them know that you're going to have the AG investigate their business practices, it could also inspire them to be more willing to negotiate.

As far as the damaged items go, if you can prove that they recklessly or intentionally damaged your belongings, then you might be able to obtain a refund. However, if they were simply not careful, then the ordinary insurance coverage would apply. You may also want to see if your homeowner's insurance provides any additional protection.

Moving companies rely on word-of-mouth, which is pretty powerful. You can also file a Complaint with the Better Business Bureau, who will try to work it out, and post reviews of the move on sites like Yelp, as long as you are careful to only make statements that are 100% factually accurate or matters of your opinion.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Lucy this helps tremendously. I will either do small claims or AG to see if we can get them to budge on that horrible settlement. :)