Joseph
Joseph, Attorney
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law
18539850

Hi Joseph. My wife and I fired our contractor on our custom

Hi Joseph. My wife and I fired our contractor on our custom home and we had our attorney send his attorney listing what we feel is owed to us. His layer countered saying that we still owe him money and is also wanting money for defamation of character. Our attorney has said this is all bluster and not to take it serious. My wife did file a complaint with the contractors board about the work and asked his insurance company about coverage for him not finishing the job, since the quotes we have are more than what is he says we owe them. She also talked to the State Attorney General about additional work that we did pay, and for items that were on are drawings but not in the house that we did not get credit for and if this was fraud. They said yes , so she filed a complaint. She did talk to some people about how he we were having a hard time with him working with us. Do you feel this is slander? I know this is not you area of expertise, but my wife is having anxiety thinking that he may get a claim that is large and take our property.

He is still on the approved contractors list for our neighborhood and is currently building a new house here as well.

Thanks for your opinion, Kevin

No, I would not consider this to be slander. Slander involves making knowingly false statements that cause harm to the person that is the subject of those statements. Here, if the statements were merely that you had a hard time with the contractor, that is nothing more than an opinion and would not constitute slander.

.
I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Joseph, how about filing a complaint with the contractors board and the complaint with the Atty Gen. Could those be considered defamation of character as I listed above.

Thanks

So long as your statements are true, then they will not be considered defamation. Meaning, just keep your statements as truthful.

.
.
.
.