Joseph
Joseph, Attorney
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law
18539850

23-year-old grandson walking in parking lot of apartment complex

23-year-old grandson walking in parking lot of apartment complex with backpack which contained controlled substances with intent to dispose of in trash. Police arrested him in parking lot (upon complaint of a neighbor), asked to search backpack and grandson allowed them to do so. Variation in police report as to when permission was obtained to search.

Joseph : Thank you for directing this post to me. However, I don't see an actual question. Is there some specific question in reference to this matter that I may answer for you?
Customer:

My question is does my grandson plea bargain in court Monday - in essence he is pleading guillty to something he did not do - we do not have the financial resources nor inclination to take this to jury trial. Is there a chance of having felony charge reduced to misdemeanor and what happens then?

Customer:

Why?

Customer:

My question is does he plea bargain and if so, what happens next? Can he get a deferred senence, perhaps 30 days in county and pay a fine? Can the felony be pleaded down to a misdemeanor?

Customer:

I am asking if my grandson should plea bargain for "no contest" . We do not have resources or inclination for this to go to a jury trial. What happens then?

Customer:

Why am I not able to get an answer to my question?

Customer:

I tried to go back and ask a question after your initial reply of "was there a question in there"? I asked my question again and I still don't have a reply.

As a general rule, I would never want to provide an absolute answer to whether a person should enter a plea unless I was the attorney of record and had ample opportunity to sit down with the client and discuss the matter in complete detail. With that caveat, this sounds like a situation your grandson should consider cautiously. As I understand it, he denies having committed the crime. If so, then there should be scant little evidence suggesting otherwise. And, in turn, a conviction would seem unlikely.

.
I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.

And yes, it is always possible for charges to be reduced. Certainly in a case such as this, where the defendant is claiming innocence and, presumably, there is little evidence, such a result would seem appropriate.

.

I'm sorry to hear of the problems with the attorney. It might be helpful to set up an office conference with him, his family and the attorney to discuss all the issues. He could state all of his concerns and questions and the attorney could address everything for him. This should help him make an informed and intelligent decision on how to proceed.

.
.
.
.