Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

Question on customer complaint recorded conversation. I made

Question on customer complaint recorded conversation. I made a complaint as a customer to Major company on the professionalism of the person I had in contact with. I didn't state my name to the company just the individual name. The individual put two together and figure out it was me. Now she wanting to get that recorded conversation I made to the company and present it to my Employer. Is there a protection on recorded conversation and releasing it out to a third party. State of Virginia
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

What is the reason that this customer service representative wants to present the copy of the recording of the conversation to your employer?

Can you please explain the situation a little better?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I work for the American Red Cross, Hosting a Blood Drive at Geico. The sponsor at the blood drive was not very professional and quite rude. Being a Geico policy holder. I called the 1800 number, and identify myself as a Geico policy holder and that I did not like the type of aptitude from the individual. She ended up putting two to two together and assumed it was me. She called my work and stated that some Male called the 800 number and complained about her. I did not give a name nor address myself as a Red Cross employer. She told my boss that she can get access to the tape recorded conversation and she can identify the person. I feel I have the right as a customer to complain and by her attacking my job and providing my boss with a third party information is against my privacy.

Thank you for your follow up.

Did you work with this Geico employee at this sponsored event together and was the complaint based on your experience at the Geico sponsored blood drive event?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I did work with at her at the event. The complaint wasn't towards her running of the event. But her personality as a whole. I stated on the complaint that didn't what to deal with her over the phone by the way she acts.

Thank you for your follow up.

Since you did complain about this Geico employee in your capacity as a Red Cross employee and also the complaint was related to your experience working with this Geico employee at the sponsored event, I am afraid that Geico would be well within its legal right to release the tape recording of their conversation with you to your employer in order to address and resolve this issue and I am afraid that this type of sharing of information would not be violation of your privacy under the current law.

I am sorry to provide you with this unfavorable answer, but please do understand that I do have professional obligation to provide customers with correct information, even when the information is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and please let me know if you have any related follow up questions.