Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

My postman tried to have my seven year old daughter open the

My postman tried to have my seven year old daughter open the door and sign for a certified letter. I was in the shower and asked her to speak to postman through window and have him stop by tomorrow for signature. The postman persistently tried to coach our daughter (who we teach NEVER to open the door) to open the door. He then said he will sign for the letter.

He signed the letter and left it in the mail but no receipt or confirmation sheet was provided with the envelope to view if he signed him name or our name.

Isn't this illegal to sign for a resident. I am very concerned that he was so persistent in asking my daughter to open the door. Seriously we live in a safe neighborhood, but coaching a child to open a door while mother is in shower is disturbing to me on so many levels.

How should we proceed with enforcing our rights as a resident who may or may not have wanted to sign for such a letter?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

You can report the postman's behavior to the postal service. He should not be falsifying your name on documents in order to avoid having to bring the letter back on Monday. That's forgery, and it's illegal. You can contact your local post office and ask to speak to the Postmaster, file a complaint online through the Postal Service's website, or email a complaint to the USPS Inspector General at [email protected].

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.