Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

How About her husband (XXXXXX) that she mentioned is

How About her husband (XXXX) that she mentioned is close to the Mayor and has a lot of political ties and during her threat she mentions him several times that he has the power and ties with the media she will destroy our business Can I work him into the Investigation maybe send an additional letter regarding him since his name was mentioned several times as leverage to get us to pay, maybe this will get him to tell her he don't want his name tarnished leave them alone. He supposedly is one of the 50 top lawyers in the US I really don't think he knows what she is doing!!

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for requesting me.

I cannot seem to locate his office, but it is safe to assume that they office together out of Chicago, and if so, then if you wish to file a fee dispute on this individual, you may do so through the same county bar as for his spouse.

The fact that he is close to the mayor (whether this is true or not) should not derail a complaint. Of course, the old adage of "wrestle with a farm animal and you may get dirty" comes to mind.

Can I work him into the Investigation maybe send an additional letter regarding him since his name was mentioned several times as leverage to get us to pay, maybe this will get him to tell her he don't want his name tarnished leave them alone.

Not unless HE HIMSELF has sent the letters. However, you may want to send a copy of the letters she sent you in your complaint about her.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE and submit your rating when we are finished.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What in these few actions she took in your opinion

would hold water or in other words appear or be illegal or unethical?

1. She came to our office unannounced and dropped off a unfilled Law suite

2. she came to our office a second time and threatened us for $30,000.00

to settle before she files

3. She lied and made accusations about us (me and MY PARTNER) on paper and in person until she found out later that the names she was investigating were not us but the people she investigated had the

same first and last names.

4. Left a second corrected unfilled lawsuit leaving out the disparaging statements about people she mixed up to be us

5. Made several other calls to us afterwards demanding the money

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello M,

No.

2. she came to our office a second time and threatened us for $30,000.00 to settle before she files

Yes - this may be deemed unethical by the Bar.

3. She lied and made accusations about us (me and MY PARTNER) on paper and in person until she found out later that the names she was investigating were not us but the people she investigated had the same first and last names.

Yes - this may be deemed unethical by the Bar. Also, this may be enough for defamation suit. Under Illinois law, the elements of a defamation claim are: the defendant made a false statement about the plaintiff; there was an unprivileged publication to a third party; fault by the defendant amounting to at least negligence; and the publication damaged the plaintiff.

No.

If the calls were threatening and unprofessional, then yes, this was unethical.

Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for gratuity.