Have Legal Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.
How About her husband (XXXX) that she mentioned is close to the Mayor and has a lot of political ties and during her threat she mentions him several times that he has the power and ties with the media she will destroy our business Can I work him into the Investigation maybe send an additional letter regarding him since his name was mentioned several times as leverage to get us to pay, maybe this will get him to tell her he don't want his name tarnished leave them alone. He supposedly is one of the 50 top lawyers in the US I really don't think he knows what she is doing!!
What in these few actions she took in your opinion
would hold water or in other words appear or be illegal or unethical?
1. She came to our office unannounced and dropped off a unfilled Law suite
2. she came to our office a second time and threatened us for $30,000.00
to settle before she files
3. She lied and made accusations about us (me and MY PARTNER) on paper and in person until she found out later that the names she was investigating were not us but the people she investigated had the
same first and last names.
4. Left a second corrected unfilled lawsuit leaving out the disparaging statements about people she mixed up to be us
5. Made several other calls to us afterwards demanding the money
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on JustAnswer are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. JustAnswer is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains.
The responses above are from individual Experts, not JustAnswer. The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credential of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service (last updated February 8, 2012).