Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

Jury instructions for Pro Se defense in Defamation case The

Customer Question

Jury instructions for Pro Se defense in Defamation case

The statements are true; plaintiffs only witness is my daughter who used priviledged communications to help his case (common interest of well being of family member).

The judge wants jury instructions next week.

1. Are there any default instructions I need to submit?
2. Where do I find them?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

The Ohio Pattern Jury Instructions are copyrighted so we cannot put them on here for you, they are available in the local court library through the free access there to "casemaker" or the librarian should have a printed copy for you to use. They also have a sample format in them for you to use.

I am afraid that we are not allowed because of copyright laws to actually copy and paste any of those instructions here for you, but again you can get the format with the general instructions and then you would look up the specific instruction for defamation.

You could if you do not want to go to the court library for free access pay for a casemaker subscription at http://www.casemaker.com to obtain the pattern jury instructions for Ohio.

In addition to the general instructions in the format, you need an instruction on damages and defamation.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

What court library? I've never seen a library at the courthouse. I ask the county librarian, and was told the law library is only available to lawyers. Are you saying the court has its own library that I can use?

Thank you for your response. Each court is supposed to have a library, depending on the county and it is supposed to be open to the public as part of the equal access to justice. Each county in Ohio has a court law library as set forth in the Ohio Revised Code, sections 307.51 through 307.516. If they will not allow you access, you need to file an ex parte motion in the court where your case is held to ask the court to issue an order to allow you access to that library so you can access the jury instructions you need for your case.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Good to know. I tought it was suspect that I was not allowed access.

Plaintiff's lawyer submitted reference numbers to the manual. Since I'm sure this book of instructions is 8" thick, are there any you can point me to by reference number?

Thank you for your response.

I am sorry, but without actually knowing your case in detail we cannot provide you detailed instructions to use. However, the books have an index so you can look up the instructions you need like Damages, Defamation, Defamation:Defense to draft your instructions.