Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

What recourse do I have after an attorney has stated in court

What recourse do I have after an attorney has stated in court submitted documents that I am not credible. I am a professional in the public landscape and fear that this mischaracterization which has no factual basis what so ever may affect my professional advancement opportunities. What are my options? Can I file suit for this?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Arguments made in litigation cannot be sued over for defamation I am afraid. Your only recourse when an attorney makes their argument about a party or witness in a case like this is to prove in the court that you are credible which makes his statement invalid. You need to vindicate yourself in the court proceeding and the court is the only one who can decide your credibility and if the court finds you are credible then his legal strategy and his arguments are no longer valid. If the court finds his statements were known to be false, then you can ask the court for sanctions for him providing known false information to the court and that is your only recourse in the hands of the judge hearing the case. However, the laws state you cannot sue over claims made during the course of litigation.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.