Joseph
Joseph, Attorney
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law
18539850

My wife and I got married in the state of NY. Now she lives

My wife and I got married in the state of NY. Now she lives in FLA and I live in NY.
Can I file for divorce in FLA.

I am a Florida family law attorney and I believe I can assist. To file a divorce in Florida, the person filing must be a legal resident of the State of Florida. As you have stated that you are a resident of New York, you do not meet the filing requirements. However, if your wife has established legal residence in Florida, then she could file there and, if you desire, you could then consent to the divorce proceeding there.

.
I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX lease for her apartment. Technically can I say I have a Florida Residence.

Is your wife agreeable to the divorce proceeding in Florida? Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes.

The lease agreement could be used to demonstrate residency. Having said that, please be aware that you would need to sign a sworn document indicating that you are a resident of Florida.

.
.
.
.