Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

I recently signed up for a GE Capital credit card for chiropractic

I recently signed up for a GE Capital credit card for chiropractic services.
I chose to do this because there was a promotion for 6-months interest free. As the 6 months approached, I called GE Capital to ask for an extension and they said a 30 day extension can be granted and if I needed 6 months, to ask the Dr. My Dr. obliged and informed me that they will call GE Capital. When my statement arrived, I noticed my 30 day extension wasn't granted. When I called to inquire GE stated that no one can recieve a 30 extension and the Dr. Cannot give a 30 day extension. I sent GE Capital a certified letter to dispute this action and received a letter today denying the waiver of the $540.07 interest.
Can I take legal action, and what would I file in small claims court?

Thank you,
Adam
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Did you obtain any type of written confirmation from GE or your doctor that the interest free period on this account would be extended?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it was strictly verbal. Our payments increased as we got closer to the expiration date I feel this shows our intent to pay off the balance.
Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your follow up.

Did the original agreement that you signed with the GE state that the interest would be due and payable from the begining of the financing if the entire amount is not paid off within 6 months?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looking at my contract it starts that interests will be added to the remaining balance upon the expiration of the promotion.
Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, any verbal statement that the interest free period would be extended beyond the initial 6 months to which you have agreed to in writing, would generally not be legally binding and also would be very difficult to prove, so I am afraid that generally your chance of legally pursuing this matter would have a very slim chance of success and generally the only feasible option would be in the situation similar to this is to attempt to negotiate some type of a reduction of the interest amount with GE customer service, but unfortunately they are not legally obligated to agree to a reduced amount of interest, since GE is entitled to collect interest according to the written agreement that you have signed with them upon the expiration of the 6 months.

Unfortunately, also, the fact that you might have been making larger payments toward the end of the 6 month would not have any legal significance in the situation similar to the one you have described.

I am sorry to deliver this bad news to you, but please do understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct and accurate information, even if the answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney