How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Andrea, Esq. Your Own Question
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12554
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Andrea, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

wondering if you could help us our son 23 yrs old was arrested

This answer was rated:

wondering if you could help us our son 23 yrs old was arrested last thurs early morn for simple possesion and parole violation we have heard nothing from him have called many many times for info went there in person to have them corrrect his name as they have his name as chad burke his name is XXXXX XXXXX chad was told can rt change it he can t call me collect they say well he was to be in court yesterday my husband was there waiting so he could at least see him well he did not appear and when the judge asked where he was he was told there was a mix up with his name and thats why he wasn t there when we told them repeatly that his name was wrong we are concerned he is in some way hurt or injured and that is why he wasn t there he is gay and also hiv and needs meds every day and i believe he is in serious health at this time but no one is doing anything and they are very rude to me on the phone and in person he is at silverdale detention center in colledge dale tenn and we have heard some reallly scary stories from people as to what goes on there we just want to see him face to face bit tolsd we can t unless we are on a list well he is in under the wrong nime soo i feel that alone is in violation please any advice would be soo helpful the thought of him having to spend another week there because of their mistake is soo wrong thank you soo much worried mom

Hi, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you. If I have not Answered your question, please let me know and I will be glad to explain further,


I am so sorry to hear about what has happened and being a mother myself, I know what you are feeling. I wish I could give you several options, but there are only two courses that you can take if you want your son out of there. His violations are not serious enough to be detained in any jail until his trial date and he can get out on bail, but you would need to retain a lawyer for that. The police and the detention center will not talk to or treat a lawyer in the same way they spoke to you because they know that there are serious consequences if they do. A lawyer will get to the bottom of everything in less than 24 hours and have your son out of there and on bail within 36 hours. You can call the Knoxville Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service, tell them what your situation is and ask for the names of several lawyers experienced in criminal defense,



Your second option is to contact the American Civil Liberties Union ("ACLU") because the treatment of gay Defendants in prison is an issue that concerns several thousand people. There is no cost if they decide to take your son's case, but it takes a long time for them to review cases and decide to take them on, but you can call and ask what they can do for your son,



I wish you the best and you and your son will be in my prayers,




Please be kind enough to rate Excellent Service" so that I receive credit for assisting you, it will not cost you anything additional to give me a positive rating, and that is the only way I can receive credit, Thank you for understanding,


Bonus and Positive Feedback on survey is very much appreciated,





Andrea, Esq. and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for you answer we will look into it but we are not in a position to hire a lawyer at this time

Hi, Mary, Thank you for the Excellent Service rating,


Here are some organizations in Tennessee which offer free legal representation,



1. The Office of the Public Defender in your County


2. Legal Aid Society Of Middle Tennessee & The Cumberlands
Primary Address: 300 Deaderick Street Ste 800
City: Nashville, TNNNN-NN-NNNN
General Phone: 615-244-6610, Fax: 615-244-6186
Intake Phone: 615-244-6610
Counties Served: Davidson, Williamson

Case Types: AIDS/HIV, Adoption, Bankruptcy, Community Economic Development, Consumer, Domestic Violence, Elder Law, Health, Housing, Immigration, Public Benefits, Real Estate, Torts, Wills
Web Site:



3. Legal Aid Of East Tennessee Southern Region
Primary Address: 744 McCallie Avenue 410
City: Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Phone: 423-756-4013 , Fax: 423-265-4164
Intake Phone: 423-756-4013
Counties Served: Bledsoe, Bradley, Hamilton, Marion, McMinn, Meigs, Monroe, Polk, Rhea, Sequatchie

Case Types: AIDS/HIV, Adoption, Bankruptcy, Consumer, Domestic Violence, Elder Law, Employment, Health, Housing, Public Benefits, Real Estate, Termination of Parental Rights, Torts, Wills
Other Case Types: Conservatorships, Name Changes, IRS Problems
Case Restrictions: Income must be 125% or below of poverty level. There are liquid & non-liquid guidelines according to family size. Family of one cannot exceed $1000 in liquid and $4000 in non-liquid. Equity in residence cannot exceed $35,000. Equity totally excluded if over 60 years of age or handicapped. LSC case restrictions (i.e, no criminal cases, no undocumented aliens may be served, no abortion related cases, and no class action suits) . Dissolution of marriage is restricted to Order of Protection in place, minor chldren involved, separated for at least 3 months or already being sued.
Web Site:


I hope this helps,