P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience

My divorce lawyer sent to the wrong email 2 copies of letters

My divorce lawyer sent to the wrong email 2 copies of letters – one to Office of Personnel Management for the CSRS and the other to TSP Legal Processing Unit, with orders for the division of the respective accounts. Included was my and my exes SS numbers and birthdates. This is a violation of my privacy and I am very concerned. Prior to this I thought to myself I would never recommend this lawyer to anyone now this.

What can I do about this? What is she obligated to do? Am I obligated to tell my ex who I do not speak to?
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Great question. If you are harmed by this, if your privacy is compromised? Then your lawyer is liable to you for any damages you suffer.

Example...say someone steals your identity with the SSN and runs up several accounts...and it cost you $3000 to fix the mess. Your lawyer is liable to you for this.

As for your ex? You do not have an affirmative duty to warn her...but you may want to. If someone steals her ID, she could sue you to in turn could sue your lawyer...but perhaps best to warn her so she can take steps to prevent it in the first place

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is my lawyer obligated to tell him my ex. Shouldn't she offer some type of identity theft insurance for a period of time?
The lawyer has no duty to your ex...since your lawyer was not your ex's client

As for insurance? That would be a good idea (for the lawyer) but there is no law that requires it.

The law that covers this is called tort law. If you are harmed by this error, you can sue to recover your damages. THe lawyer could purchase insurance to reduce their risk...but there is not any law that would make them do so