LegalEagle1, Attorney
Experience:  Practicing attorney licensed for over 23 years.

Do civil judgements expire after a certain time if the plaintiff

Do civil judgements expire after a certain time if the plaintiff makes no attempt to collect after a civil judgement is entered?
In Pennsylvania money judgments can be enforced by writ of execution against the personal property of a judgment debtor for a period of 20 years after the entry of the judgment. 42 Pa.C.S. § 5529. Money judgments may become a lien on the real property of a judgment debtor in any county upon the entry into the record of the office of the Clerk of the Court of Common Pleas in the county where the property is situated. 42 Pa.C.S. § 4303. Such liens are enforceable for a period of five (5) years and may be revived prior to its expiration. (42 Pa.C.S. § 5526(1).

So unless a lien was placed and renewed and twenty years has passed the time for enforcing the judgment has expired.

I hope that I have answered your question. Please let me know if you have more questions or need more information.

Please rate my answers with a positive rating (three or more stars) as this is the only way I receive credit and compensation for my work. If you have additional questions or need more information, please ask.

My goal is to provide with best assistance that I can. Please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also keep in mind that the law may not always be settled or may not support the position you want. My role is not to tell you what you want to hear. but to provide you accurate information as to what the law provides. Please do not rate me poorly just because the information I have provided does not support the outcome you desire.

You can always request me through my profile at also begin your question with “For LegalEagle1”
Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Information provided is intended to explain general legal principles and assist you in finding an attorney in your area.

Please click "Great" or better to rate service.