Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

My daughter is a 35 year old teacher in Pennsylvania and is

My daughter is a 35 year old teacher in Pennsylvania and is engaged to be married. She and her fiancé are planning a December destination wedding in the Florida keys. The problem is, she has just found out that she is pregnant and she thinks this could create a morality issue with the school and could lose her job.
To make matters worse, the invitations have been sent out and people have made reservations where the wedding is to take place as well as travel arrangements. Additionally we have paid approx $15000.00 in deposits for band, flowers, dress, photographer, food etc. that are probably not refundable.
The simplistic solution seems to have a private exchange of vows in PA now to solve the possible employment problem and then have the Fake ceremony in Florida. But can you get married in two different states?
Please advise!
Expert:  Loren replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide excellent service.

Congratulations on all of the good news for your family.

The official wedding is the one in which a license is taken out. Otherwise, you are free to have a religious or other officiant perform a marriage and do so without a license. The marriage has no legal effect until a license is taken out in some jurisdiction, signed by an officiant and returned to the county clerk for registration.

It is my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further information.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.

JudgeLaw