Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

My question is about officiating at weddings in Osceola County,

My question is about officiating at weddings in Osceola County, Florida. I am from Upstate New York. I have served a church for over 12 years and am recognized as locally ordained by the New York State American Baptists. I can legally perform weddings anywhere throughout New York State. I have a niece who is getting married in Osceola County, Florida next year and wants me to officiate. Can I legally perform a wedding in Florida and if so --- do I have to submit any credentials?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

The law that governs officiating weddings is Sec 741.07 of the Florida Statutes. It only requires the officiant to be a formal member of 'some church' (not a church in Florida but anywhere). There is no requirement to provide your qualifications to any as the statute does not call for proof of documentation.

Here is the statute:

741.07 Persons authorized to solemnize matrimony.—(1) All regularly ordained ministers of the gospel or elders in communion with some church, or other ordained clergy, and all judicial officers, including retired judicial officers, clerks of the circuit courts, and notaries public of this state may solemnize the rights of matrimonial contract, under the regulations prescribed by law. Nothing in this section shall make invalid a marriage which was solemnized by any member of the clergy, or as otherwise provided by law prior to July 1, 1978.(2) Any marriage which may be had and solemnized among the people called “Quakers,” or “Friends,” in the manner and form used or practiced in their societies, according to their rites and ceremonies, shall be good and valid in law; and wherever the words “minister” and “elder” are used in this chapter, they shall be held to include all of the persons connected with the Society of Friends, or Quakers, who perform or have charge of the marriage ceremony according to their rites and ceremonies.History.—s. 1, Nov. 2, 1829; s. 2, ch. 1127, 1861; RS 2056; GS 2575; RGS 3934; CGL 5853; s. 1, ch. 28104, 1953; s. 1, ch. 74-372; s. 1, ch. 78-15; s. 34, ch. 95-401.

Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience: Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.