Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

I have been told by at least two property management employees

I have been told by at least two property management employees that in Cumberland County, tenants who rent houses are not allowed to keep more than three pets on the property; however, other property management businesses have not mentioned this. I have four indoor cats and three outdoor/indoor dogs and am looking to rent a house.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Such zoning limitations would not be on county level but would be based instead on whatever city or municipality that has the property that you are looking to rent. Reviewing county ordinances I have not seen such limitations listed anywhere. There may be a city limitation that I can double-check for you, but I did not find any specific limit on how many pets a person may have on the premises.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They have told me specifically Cumberland County. I suspected they were misinformed. Could you check?

Thank you.

Thank you for your follow-up.

I did check and could not find it. Here is one link that lists the statutes and ordinances for Cumberland County and the local towns within the county where you can also check for yourself. I found no mention of this limitation:

Good luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. They must be misinformed.

You are most welcome, truly!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I e-mailed the county animal control office and receive the response below. I also e-mailed the property management company and stated that I would not be renting from them but shared the information with them so they would discontinue to misquote county ordinances. If that is their company policy, that's their prerogative, but they need to check their facts.

"Our ordinance does not decipher between individuals who rent or own a home/dwelling however the number of dogs allowed in Cumberland County is based on acreage of lot. If you live on less than .5 of an acre you are only allowed to own 3 dogs but unlimited number of cats. If you live on more than .5 of an acre you can own as many dogs and cats as you like as long as they are licensed with our office. To obtain a pet privilege license all we would need is the date of rabies vaccination and the fee; 7.00 for spayed/neutered pets and 25.00 for unaltered pets. This is an annual fee. You can pay by going online to or by calling me at my direct number below. If you move to Fort Bragg there is not limit because Cumberland County does not have jurisdiction in that living area or any outside county. The surrounding counties to include Harnett, Hoke, Robeson, and Bladen do not have a limit at this time on how many animals one is allowed to own. I hope this information is helpful and if you have any further questions, please let me know. Thank you."

Thank you for your follow-up.

Could they provide you with this statute or ordinance? I did not see it, and have just searched the databases to see if I could track it down. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your follow-up.

It looks like this is the statute that they are referring to:

Sec. 3
License for dogs and cats
It shall be unlawful for any person to own, possess or have under his control any dogs or
cats, or any combination thereof, over four (4) months of age, without obtaining an annual privilege
license for each such animal from the veterinarian administering
the rabies vaccination for the animal or
the Cumberland County Animal Control Department, as provided in this Article.
The annual privilege license shall be assigned the same number as the rabies vaccination
certificate for each animal and shall be registered with the Animal Control Department at the time of each
annual rabies vaccination for the animal.
The annual privil
ege license fee shall be paid to the Animal
Control Department at the time of each rabies vaccination.
For rabies vaccinations of three (3) years
duration, the annual privilege license
shall be due on the annual anniversary date of the vaccination.
shall be the responsibility of the Animal Control Department to notify owners with privilege license fees
due in the second and third year of a three (3) year rabies vaccine.
All veterinarians administering rabies vaccinations shall
the pri
vilege license
collect the privilege license
fee at the time of the vaccination and remit the registration and fee to the
Cumberland County Animal Control Department with the rabies vaccination certification in accordance
with such procedures and using
such forms as established by the Animal Control Director from time to
time. A participating veterinarian shall retain an administrative fee as established by the Cumberland
County Board of Commissioners from time to time.
The Animal Control Directo
r shall be responsible for the administration of the privilege
licensing of dogs and cats and for the collection of all privilege license fees not collected and
by participating veterinarians.

I have never quie seen a statute like this, as it appears to limit personal property, and something that residents should be able to contest in corut. But until it is contested, is a valid ordinance and something that you would honor.

Good luck.