Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

I own a business in Florida that provides repair services for

I own a business in Florida that provides repair services for cell phones. A customer brought in an iPhone with a cracked screen and agreed to have us replace it with a new screen for $150. We installed the part, but it was defective. We didn't have another one in stock at the time and the customer left the phone with us to resolve the problem. As it turns out a software issue made the phone inoperable. We took the phone to the local Apple Store and paid a $230 fee to obtain a new phone (not refurbished). Now the customer is refusing to pay the original repair fee off $150 and demanding we give her a new, unopened iPhone still in the box. We do not expect her to pay anything more than the original price quoted ($150) and is also demanding I overnight express the new phone to New Jersey where she resides. What are my legal rights under this circumstance?

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

I would like to clarify the situation. The customer is getting a new phone and is not willing to pay anything, including the original estimate of $150?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, you ate correct. We took his phone to the Apple Store and we paid the exchange price. I am willing to send it to the customer when she pays the original quoted repair price of $150. She will be receiving a brand new phone (not in the box because Apple does not give them out in the exchange program in a box), but it is a fully functional phone...ready to be activated with their phone number.
I see. Thank you for clarifying that, Sam.

That is an extremely reasonable deal for the customer and you would typically be within your rights to charge that amount since it was the original estimate provided to the customer and retain possession of the phone until she pays the $150.

The customer is not only receiving a new screen, but a new phone at the same cost as a new screen to compensate her for her inconvenience. This sounds like a very unreasonable customer, but I would make this the botXXXXX XXXXXne for her to regain possession of her phone.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
And if she refuses to pay the $150 does the phone belong to me and if so what is the timeframe for this to transpire? I really feel like we have bent over backwards to resolve this issue in a professional manner.
I agree you have gone above and beyond any legal requirements.

I would notify her in writing that unless she claims the phone within 30 days and pays the amount due, that you intend to retain the phone and dispose of it as you see fit. That should provide her with ample time to response to you and pay the bill if she chooses to.

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.