How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas McJD Your Own Question
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6516
Experience:  Legal Expert
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Thomas McJD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In Maryland, my Stepmother used her power of attorney to deed

This answer was rated:

In Maryland, my Stepmother used her power of attorney to deed my father's house to herself and then subsequently died intestate. How do I get my father's house back?


Hi, I will be happy to assist you, and it is my goal to make you a very satisfied customer! This may take a few minutes, so thanks for your patience.


You would need to open a probate estate for your father and have yourself or someone else appointed as representative of his estate. After that, you would need to sue your stepmother's estate based on her breach of fiduciary duty to invalidate the deed transferring the property to her. An agent under a power of attorney owes duties of loyalty and good faith (fiduciary duties). If an agent acts in her own best interest (as the case here where she engaged in self-dealing in her own best interest and not the best interest of your father), that agent's action is invalid. Unfortunately, you need a court order to determine that the actin is invalid so that the deed can be invalidated and the property brought back into your father's estate. And, unfortunately, you need to open a probate estate for your father to do that because the estate is the only person with legal standing to bring such a lawsuit. Since this type of case involves estate law complexities, it would be best to retain a local attorney to assist you with the actions that will be necessary to get the property back. and (in addition to your state's bar association lawyer referral service) are good resources for locating a local attorney that could assist you. You want an estate/probate/real estate attorney.


I'm sorry, if your father is still alive, you do not need to open an estate for him. You can simply use your authority as agent under his power of attorney to bring a lawsuit against your stepmother's estate.


This system sometimes doesn't work quite right, so to ensure you've seen my answer, I'm switching over to a different format than chat. If you need additional assistance after reviewing your answer just let me know. Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How would I go about instituting this suit? and does the fact that she left no will affect what I need to do?

Any suit is commenced by filing a petition/complaint in state court in the county in which the property is located. As noted, you would allege invalidity of the deed based on breach of fiduciary duty. The legal requirements in properly pleading such a case can be complex, so it will be extremely important that you retain a local attorney to assist you with the suit. Unfortunately, this is not a do-it-yourself type of legal situation.

No, it doesn't matter that your stepmother did not leave a will.
Thomas McJD and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you