Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.

Having huge problems with past company that I worked for. Smear

Having huge problems with past company that I worked for. Smear tackticts that are untrue and incriminating. Someone I did not know informed me that this company had a video of me, from my past, that they were using to literally get me beaten up. It has gotten to the point where I can't even walk down to the corner to buy anything without getting staired at or hasseled by people I don't even know. I bought a hi-top van a few years ago and have been hauling small expedited loads anywhere east of the misissippi and it seems to have started then. Even hauling out of state people are harrasing me. It seems that someone is calling them ahead and smearing my name before I get there. Can you direct me to anyone that can help while I still have some sanity left. I have the rite to make a little money as well as anyone else. RLS

Thank you for the information and your question. If you are saying that your former employer is making false statements of fact about you, and that is damaging your reputation, then that would be defamation of character and you could file suit against them for doing this. You will want to sit down with a local trial/litigation attorney who handles non-physical injury torts, which is what defamation is, and discuss your case in detail so that they can help you determine if you want to file suit, or if you just want them first to send a "Cease and Desist" letter to this employer. That letter would tell them that if they continue spreading lies about you, that you will exercise your legal right to file suit. Sometimes, that alone will work.

If you need assistance in finding a local attorney, you can contact your local lawyer referral service, which would likely be the County Bar Association. You can find the contract number at:

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.