Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

My sons with disability were offered placement in a non-profit

My son's with disability were offered placement in a non-profit private group home that is funded with public money (SSI) I asked the director and the community finance officer and acting community Minister what religious activities would be offered to my son's. The director stated that because the community was primarily Christian Reform that they will promote that. I told them that our family practices the appointed feasts in Leviticus 23 and would that pose any conflicts. The minister responded in so many words and stated basically that the boy's are free to practice "Jewish" things in the privacy of their rooms. Have their civil rights been violated in any way?

Thank you for question and for asking for me.

If your question is that because they receive payments from SSI if they are barred from having a religious background, the answer is "no." Many denominational centers are out there who receive medicaid, medicare and SSI funds and the courts have held that these payments are incidental and they come from the patients or parties who are attending or occupying the facility not direct government funding.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If they have an onsite chapel, do they need to accommodate the boy's according to their religious preference outside the boy's living quarters?

Thank you for your response.

They would have to provide the opportunity to practice their religion, but they do not have to change their facilities for this purpose I am afraid.