Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I need court cases that have determined the use of ditto marks in a notary journal are una

Customer Question

I need court cases that have determined the use of ditto marks in a notary journal are unacceptable. My Trustee's Deed Upon Sale was signed in January 6, 2010. The bonding company has denied my claim because the notary claims this practice is perfectly acceptable in the State and county of San Diego.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

“Government Code Section 8206 requires that the notary public’s journal include all the information for ‘each official act.’ Therefore, each act would include the date, time, type of official act, character of Instrument, signature, type of identification, fee and thumbprint (if applicable) on a separate line for each act” See: California Secretary of State Interpretation, Nov. 13, 2009.

There are no actual CA Court cases ruling on 8206, but the Secretary of State (who controls the notary license) opinion would be precedential weight in court. This should be all that you require in this matter.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Thank you for your wonderful rating. You were provided the actual CA statute stating what you asked, yet you claim the service was bad, that is quite disingenuous.

If you wished more information, you never asked for it. It is further not the fault of the expert that there is no court case existing in CA on this at this time and you blaming the expert for bad service when they provided not just a statutory reference but also a Secretary of State of CA opinion on the matter is very disingenuous as your question you asked was answered with what was available and attorneys cannot make things appear that do not exist.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I asked for legal cases in California on the use of ditto marks by notaries. You provided none.

Thank you for your response. It is an impossible task to provide someone with something that does not exist. As I did tell you a search of case law, which are only reported decisions from superior and appeals and supreme courts, there were NO REPORTED DECISIONS, so you were given exactly what real attorneys use when there are no reported decisions they use the LAW and written determinations from governmental entities. Thus, I apologize you were not given case law, but we would also hope you understand that you cannot be given something that is non-existent.