How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question

Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 24984
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughters last job did not end well, she left the previous

Customer Question

My daughters last job did not end well, she left the previous employer off her resume and found another job within the month. The previous employer initiated contact on there own with my daughters new employer, did not reach the office manager as requested and hung up.
I immediatley went to see and spoke to the previous employer and asked why they tried to contact and was told a lie that the new employer had called for a reference. I explained they were not listed as a refernce on my daughters resume, she had already been hired and did not need their reference.
I can only surmise that they had Ill intent when trying to contact new employer.
What Advice can I give my daughter please
thank you in advance,
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

If the previous employer does anything to interfere with her new employment, she can sue for Intentional Interference with Advantageous Relations. That's an intentional tort, for when a person knowingly and intentionally sets to cause problems to someone else, without justification. Whether there is justification may depend on the specific circumstances surrounding her dismissal. For example, if a person who is fired for stealing gets a job at a bank, that new employer may have a legitimate interest in knowing about it.

Your daughter could also have a cause of action for defamation of character, if the former employer makes any untrue statement of fact about her. There is some privilege for statements where there is a mutual interest, but that isn't going to apply if a person intentionally and maliciously reaches out to say things that he knows are not true.

One option is to send the former employer a "cease and desist" letter, explaining the situation and letting them know that she will not hesitate to sue if they tell false statements to damage her reputation or if they continue to interfere in her current employment. If the prior employer is part of a larger corporation, it might be worth talking to the district manager or the corporate office as well.

In the meantime, if she believes that her previous employer will continue to cause problems for her, she may want to consider whether to approach the current employer to explain the situation and let them know that they may be contacted.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How do I get a "cease and desist" letter?

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
These letters are very fact-specific. Generally, the person sending the letter would write it, based on specifically what is happening. She can get general formatting examples online. But a local attorney could write one for her - a letter usually wouldn't cost a lot of money.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 24984
Experience: Lawyer
Lucy, Esq. and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What if I send a "friendly" email on behalf of my daughter, stating I have spoken to a lawyer about the issues you stated, and would rather not see this elevate or get out of hand, so please cease and desist.

Some of the employees have made untrue statements about my daughter and others in this previous place of employment. I would hate for any of them to get to her new employer. So far she has ignored them, but would rather not be put in the position of having to explain to her new employer.


I forgot to mention that while there last week, the office manager mentioned the employees there were required to sign a letter of confidentiality. I dont believe that was a truthful statement, could a lawyer ask for proof of that if this has to go to court??

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
A friendly letter sometimes works before involving counsel or sending a formal letter. The problem is, a lot of people just don't take it seriously.

If she does wind up in court, yes, she can ask for copies of any confidentiality agreements she signed.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.