How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6772
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In Florida is there alegal requirement that the executor of

This answer was rated:

In Florida is there alegal requirement that the executor of a will must live in Florida?
Hello. Who is providing you and your brother with the information about FL law and the absence of a will?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Our stepmother.

A person who is a son of the deceased does not have to be domiciled in the state of Florida to act as a personal representative (executor) for his parents' estates. Florida permits a close relative (by blood) to serve even though he doesn't reside in the state. Florida statute § 733.304 relates to nonresidents serving as Personal Representative. The Statute specifically states that a person who is not domiciled in the state cannot qualify as personal representative unless the person is:

(1) A legally adopted child or adoptive parent of the decedent;

(2) Related by lineal consanguinity to the decedent;

(3) A spouse or a brother, sister, uncle, aunt, nephew, or niece of the decedent, or someone related by lineal consanguinity to any such person; or

(4) The spouse of a person otherwise qualified under this section.

Number 2, above applies to you and/or your brother.

As far as finding a copy of your father's will goes, wills are usually kept by individuals who are closely related (like a spouse such as your step mother), sometimes the attorneys, banks etc... If you know who your father's lawyer was, that would be a good place to start looking for a will.

I hope this Answer is helpful and that you will give it a positive rating. If not, then do not enter a rating and send back a Reply for more information. You should consult a local attorney to verify that this information is accurate for your state. Thank you for using Just Answer. We appreciate your business.
Irwin Law and 12 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions