Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.
8370490

Landscaping contract, Washington State

In a written contract for landscaping work in Washington State, the total was to not exceed $10,000.00. After requesting an itemized version of the invoice due to poor quality and incorrect information, my total for no immediately apparent reason was increased by $878.03, for a total of $10,878.05.

Pertaining to "Anderson Landscaping, Wenatchee, WA 98801"

Also, an automated sprinkler system was installed.  

According to Wash. State dep of L&I website

Three previous (two of which are unsatisfied) violations of 19.28.101 RCW had been recorded.

The license for "electrical contractor" with specialty #1 as: Pump and irrigation (Domestic and public water and irrigation systems) and Specialty #2 as: Cc-Ec Pump & Irrigation, has been suspended as of 2/14/2010.

Is my contract binding to a maximum of the signed $10,000 contract agreement?  Would the suspended (according to W.S. L&I page) license for electrical contracting play any role in this situation?

Hello JACUSTOMER,

If the written contract price of $10,000 is unambiguous, it is binding on the contractor, and there would be no justification for them to charge you an additional $878. It may be that this additional $878 might be for sales tax. But other than that, the $10,000 is all that you would be obligated to pay.

If the contractor did try to sue you for the additional $878, you could introduce into evidence the fact that their license was suspended, and that would influence the court against their claim for the additional $878.

Thomas