Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

I had a friend train a horse for me , I told him to ride the

I had a friend train a horse for me , I told him to ride the horse 4 months, he had the horse about a month an got a job, he wasn't riding the horse. He told me it was his lost an not to worry ab it , he had the horse 7 month before he got it trained, I liked $150 having the 4 months paid , I went to pickup the horses , had a $150 to pay the trainer , he told me I needed to pay him $2200 . I told him I wasn't paying for the months he did not ride the horse, he said I have to pay him $2200 or he was keeping my horse, we do not have no contract or did he ever send me a bill, what do I do?

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

I am sorry that you are in this situation. Luckily for you, you do have the means to get your horse back. What you would need to do is go to court, specifically small claims court in your county, and file suit for 'replevin'. 'Replevin' is a legal term that means that you are suing to get your personal property returned to you. If there is no contract in place, the other party has the burden of proving that you agreed to expenses. If nothing is in writing, the judge will likely order the other party to return the horse back to you. At most I can see that other party demand that you pay for feed during the time the horse was with him, but I do not see a demand for services go beyond that.

Good luck.