Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  14 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 24+ yrs

I WAS SERVED WITH A PETITION FROM ZWICKER AND ASSOC. IN TEXAS

I WAS SERVED WITH A PETITION FROM ZWICKER AND ASSOC. IN TEXAS TO FILE A WRITTEN ANSWER IN RESPONSE TO A SUIT BY DISCOVER CARD FOR THE AMOUNT OF $1797.04. ONE YEAR AGO I TURNED MY DEBT OVER TO FREEDOM DEBT RELIEF TO HELP ME CONSOLIDATE MY DEBT. I HAVE BEEN OUT OF WORK FOR 3 1/2 YEARS. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO FROM HERE AND HAVE NO CLUE WHAT THE WRITTEN ANSWER IS OR HOW TO DO IT. I CANNOT AFFORD AN ATTORNEY TO HELP ME.
Expert:  Barrister replied 12 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
I am sorry to hear that the creditor has decided to file suit against you for the debt.
.
I need to ask a few questions before I can comment....
.
When was the last time you made a payment on the account?
.
Do you have any legal defenses to the complaint? (you paid it, it isn't you, etc.)
.
Do you own any assets like real estate (other than a home) or big ticket items like motorcycles, RVs , boats, etc.?
.
Any bank accounts?
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Last payment last year before Freedom took over. I was told by them not to make any payments to creditors. No legal defenses that I know of. No big ticket items. My husband and I have a checking account and savings- savings only has $3-4.00 in it.

Thank you for the additional information. To be very honest with you, whether you file an Answer or not, the creditor will be able to get a judgment against you if you don't have any legal defenses to the debt. It will prevent them from getting a judgment for a few more months, but will actually cost you more in the long run because they will add in all their legal fees to the eventual judgment.
.
So it is actually cheaper if you allow them to get a default judgment and don't file an Answer.
.
The good thing is that TX is a very debtor friendly state. There is an unlimited homestead exemption for a debtor's home and TX doesn't allow wage garnishments. So that leaves big ticket items and bank accounts for a creditor to come after. If you don't have any big items with equity and don't have any savings, then you would be what is considered "judgment proof". They can get a judgment, but they can't collect on it.
.
This is a link to a generic Answer template that you can modify to use if you choose to file an Answer. But without a legal defense, it will only serve to delay them getting a judgment.
.
http://www.northwestregisteredagent.com/lawsuit-answer.html
.
In a situation like this, if you have other debts and haven't filed bankruptcy, you may want to consider doing so to wipe the slate clean and get a fresh start.
.
.
Thanks
Barrister, Attorney
Experience: 14 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 24+ yrs