Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

What legal action can you take if a dealership sells you a

What legal action can you take if a dealership sells you a faulty car?
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
Can you give me a few more details about your situation?
.
How long have you had the car?
.
What type of problems does it have?
.
Have you had a mechanic look at it and give you a diagnosis?
.
Did it come with any type of written warranty?
.
Did you have an opportunity to drive and inspect it prior to purchase?
.
Did the seller make any representations as to the quality of the vehicle? ("everything works great.. nothing wrong with her, etc.")
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I've had it for two year and have had 5 blow puts because the alinement is off on the front right wheel I figured something must be wrong that this keeps happening. So I took it to the mechanic and found out that it was in three accidents before I got it and they didn't tell me. The alinement can't be fixed on the front and the last time I had a blow out I almost died I barely missed getting hit by a 18 wheeler. There was a 1 year warranty. I've never been in an accident before so it was not my doing. I don't feel safe driving the car.
Ok, to be perfectly honest with you, it is going to be tough to hold them liable for the car after 2 years of use and ownership. The dealer only has to notify the buyer if the vehicle has been totaled and has a salvage title. Otherwise, they can sell them without disclosing anything so it is up to the buyer to request a carfax or other vehicle condition report to see if it has been in any wrecks.
.
The other problem is that the warranty has long since expired so they couldn't be forced to cover any repairs now. They can say that the car worked fine when they sold it to you and now, 2 years later they have no idea what you did to it to cause the problems. Obviously they would be lying, but with no warranty coverage, you couldn't hold them liable.
.
I hate to say it, but you would likely be better off trying to trade it in on something else so you aren't literally taking your life in your hands each time you drive it.
.

I am sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers, even when an answer is not favorable to the customer.

.
.