Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.

In Georgia, I want to trade a vehicle with another individual.

In Georgia, I want to trade a vehicle with another individual. Each vehicle is worth about $2,000.00. One car is a 1997 Ford F350 and the other is a 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. What type of paperwork would we need to execute? We each have the Georgia titles for our vehicles. Is there any Georgia sales tax due?

Welcome and thank you for your question

I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

You are going to sign the title of the vehicles over to the other - one as the "seller" and one as the "buyer" on each of those titles.

Each of you will also need to complete a Title and Tag application

You will then take them to the County Commissioners Tag Office and present your paperwork with an Emissions certificate for each vehicle.

There is an $18 transfer fee and also a possible Ad Valorem tax that will be due.

The Ad Valorem tax is based on the value of the vehicle and is computed by using this link for the tax calculator

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. We live in different counties about 100 miles apart. So we would each be walking into our different offices. From your description, the only paperwork we each would have is the signed title.

Do we need to write out some kind of bill of sale? Anything else?

You can do a Bill of Sale and yes you each go to your own office in the county you live in.

You need the emissions cert