Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My husband and I have a revocable living trust. He passed

Customer Question

My husband and I have a revocable living trust. He passed away 3 years ago and I have just learned he has some money due back from a co-op in another state and they require
a form from probate to show that I am next in line for the refund. When I contacted the firm that has taken over the trust, the attorney told me the form would cost me $800.00!
That's half of what I would get. Is this true?
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is Barrister and I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
To be very blunt with you, the attorney is trying to skin you... The form you need called an Affidavit of Heirship and is a fairly simple form. You just need to get someone to complete the form who knows you and your family history and who does not stand to gain from the estate by completing the form (they must be "uninterested"). Once it is completed and signed in front of a notary, it is recorded at the county land records office.
.
Once recorded, it would serve as a formal legal notice that you are the heir to husband's estate and you could send them a copy of the recorded Affidavit and they could then release the funds to you.
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. This is what I thought