P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience

Is it legal or acceptable for a plaintiffs attorney to lie

Is it legal or acceptable for a plaintiff's attorney to lie in court? Is there any recourse if the lie prejudiced the judge and impacted the decision or outcome of a case against the defendant?
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

It is not acceptable or legal. All attorneys have a duty of candor to the court. It is a violation of that duty to lie to the court. It is a violation of the rules of court and the rules of professional responsibility. It could lead to sanctions from the bar, including revocation of the attorney's license to practice law.

Appeal...if there is clear evidence the attorney lied, the opposing party can file a motion with either the original trial court, or with the appeals court to as the case be evaluated in light of the false information presented to the court.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much!

Certainly Best of luck with this mess