Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.

I have a guy watching my house (watering plants general maintenance)

I have a guy watching my house (watering plants general maintenance) while I am out of the state for twelve I need some kind of documentation protecting myself against anything that might happen?

You could have the guy sign a simple Accident Waiver and Release of Liability Form. Such a form will simply state that guy assumes all the risks of injury while being on your property and performing his responsibilities, and that he waives any claim against you for personal injury resulting from either your negligence or careless, or any defective or dangerous conditions on the property. If you just google "Accident Waiver and Release of Liability Form", you should come up with several samples that you can use and modify to suit your needs.

In addition to the above you might want to consider the following.

I don't know if you want to hold him responsible for any damages he causes to your property while on your property, but you might want to include some language in your agreement that he will be held personally responsible for any damage he causes through his negligence above a certain amount (say $500).

You also might want to include some language that he will not perform major repairs (if something major happens) without your notice and consent. Also that he will notify you if something major happens.

These are the things you should consider.