How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I am a sourcing agent based in Hong Kong and I have

This answer was rated:

Hello, I am a sourcing agent based in Hong Kong and I have been asked by a US company to find a supplier for some electronic equipment. I need to disclose the US company's confidential information to potential suppliers in order to obtain quotes and so need to put in place an NDA between the US company and potential suppliers first. In doing so, the US company will become aware of the potential suppliers, so I want to put in place a contract with the US company so that any future business through the suppliers I have identified is carried out through my business and not directly with the suppliers. Can I do this?
I hope this message finds you well. There are two issues that I need to address relative to your question. First of, I am a USPTO registered patent attorney and deal in intellectual property licensing in the US and abroad as well as contract law for personal service. As such, this situation is not new to me and I hope to provide you with very satisfactory information.

This first issue I want to address out of an abundance of caution and because it has bearing down the line. As you know, piracy of ideas is a major problem in Asia - China in particular. As such, you need a strong non-disclosure agreement that is pre-approved and perhaps even an attachment to the contract you sign with the US based companies. Even with the NDA, piracy is possibility, therefore the US companies should attempt to obtain, if they have not already, IP protection in the US to at least prevent importation of pirated goods into the US.

As to the second issue, you can contract with US based companies to essentially be a middle man as a reward for your services and for functioning as a Asia based liaison on behalf of the companies as issues may arise. In fact, the later part is the hook that generally makes companies desire your service and willing to sign an exclusivity agreement with you in the process.

Within that contract, you want to also address and limit any liability you may have for their confidential information being exposed or pirated. You want to address through contract language that they are responsible for their own IP protection over and above the NDA you will have companies sign through their own intellectual property protective measures.

So, the answer is that you can contract to limit the companies and make them work through you. You can place penalty provisions in the contract to benefit you if they violate the terms of the contract. You may want to make the applicable law as to contract disputes be in California, so as to stay away from Asian courts.

You need to get pre-approval for the NDA you will use and you need to be willing to work in handling issues after actually setting up an agreement between the US companies and suppliers.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. I want to assure you are comfortable going forward.

Best wishes going forward.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Timothy,


Thanks for your e-mail, in answer to your questions, the US company has full IP protection and yes I am willing to handle any issues that arise with

the Asian supplier.


To clarify, the NDA that will be put in place with the Asian suppliers is the US company's NDA and so obviously has their full approval.


I do have some further questions:

- Should I contract the suppliers or the US company to work solely through me, or both?

- What is reasonable to put in that contract regarding future business between the US company and the supplier, i.e. can I also stipulate that it must be done through me?

- Should the contract have an agreed term? What happens at the end of the term?

- Do you have any draft agreements that I could use as a basis for the contract?


I look forward to your response

Kind regards







As to the first question, you at a minimum need to contract with the US company because they will be easier to address legally down the line due to a better court system. They are the only must...contracting with the Asian based supplier is sort of a luxury, but certainly an avenue worth pursuing. In short, I would not waste my efforts on this project unless the US company agrees to use you after the contact has been set up.

As to the second, you can stipulate that you be used as a liaison on all business conducted between the parties that is over and above nominal, normal service issues and the like. Any future business arrangements between the parties need to be conducted through you. You could place a time limit on the effectiveness of the contract, like all future business arrangements for the next 5-10 years, to help coax the issue.

As to the third, as stated above, you can have an agreed term. At the end of the term you want to reserve the right to continue the business. Basically, you want to have an opportunity for the business (not necessarily a right of first refusal) but a pledge of consideration on the part of the party or parties.

I don't have any draft agreements that I would feel very comfortable sending over to you without oversight. These agreements I have a custom generated for previous clients that paid a pretty substantial price for the service and whom I continue to work with on projects. Out of a sense of obligation to them, I would feel bad about forwarding them along.

That said, there are websites such as that have some really good fillable legal forms that will be on point or close to on point. I will be more than happy to help you in this process if you want to cut and paste in the future. I can add or take away language, etc.

Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience: 10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
Delta-Lawyer and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions