Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
20355756

I recently went to court this month for a divorce which I was

I recently went to court this month for a divorce which I was made to agee to my my attorney an his. I was an hv been under severe pain an was very distraught on tht day. Anyway my husband lied under oath his attorney an mine knew he was lying an said nithing told my Att 2 times he was lying an hesaid nothing. Its not right r legal. He was hving an affair an left me our home flooded he never came r offered to help so I am disabled no home. Van breaks no ride nothing all gone. My attorney lead me believe I could get him on adultery didnt happen. Hired private I he told me to do spent money I didnt hv for tht also put $16000.00 in house so I would hv a hm Att told me I would get it bk I didnt he doent hv to pay me bk nothing I feel I was misled represented an so was the judge. I need help please
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there Maria --

-

I am so sorry to hear about these issues and there were definitely some things done here by your lawyer and the court that were unjust to you. Unfortunately, we do not represent clients offline -- we are a general question and answer service and I can make some suggestions regarding what you can do and who to contact there in Mississippi for assistance. If you are not satisfied with the answers I give you, please simply contact customer service for a refund and do not press a bad or negative rating below. My first suggestion is that you contact the Mississippi lawyers licensing agency and file a complaint against the attorney for the manner in which he handled your case -- he failed to give you correct legal information (hiring a PI was not needed -- the courts really do not care about adultery any longer and the Judges just want all of the cases to be Irreconcilable Differences / No Fault divorces), he failed to zealously represent you (he should have gotten you some kind of spousal support because of your disabilities), and he permitted perjury on the witness stand without questioning the witness further to at least try to show the court that the witness (your ex husband) was lying on the stand. Your attorney probably also charged a lot of money and you should request that some of the legal fees you paid be refunded to you. You make these complaints through the Consumer Assistance Program (CAP) through the Mississippi Bar Association -- here is a link to their website -- http://www.msbar.org/ethics-discipline/consumer-assistance-program/the-program.aspx

-

Now, as far as the court hearing are concerned, you should see if you can get an attorney to file a Motion for Reconsideration (so the judge will have to review his decision and explain every point if the Judge wants it to stand or the Judge can make changes) OR you can file an appeal with the higher court to see if you can get the Judge's decision tossed out or overturned. With either of these, a notice to the Court must be filed within 30 days of the date that the original order was handed down. If you are beyond the 30 days, you should still have your case reviewed by a different attorney because if your prior attorney did not bring up your disabilities effectively with the court in the earlier case, you may very well still have a claim to get your ex to pay spousal support based upon the nature and extent of your disabilities and whether or not you can work and support yourself -- now AND into the future.

-

I am not sure how far you have looked into free or low cost attorneys in your area of Mississippi, but you should contact as many of them as you can and if they turn you away, then you call them again next week - and the week after that -etc (you get the idea -- they will usually say they are backed up and cannot handle more cases but if you are persistent and do not go away, then they will most likely find a free or very low cost attorney for you). Here is a link to the Mississippi legal aid offices where you can get more information and contact information -- http://www.mslegalservices.org/ Finally, the Mississippi School of Law has a legal aid center using lawyers and law students and you should contact them also -- here is a link to their website -- http://www.missionfirst.org/legalaid and there is a group of independent attorneys who are called the Volunteer Lawyers Project for low income persons needing assistance -- http://www.mvlp.net/

-

I truly wish you the best of luck with all of this and please let me know if you have further questions.

-

MARY

-

Please press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below so I will be paid for my time. I am paid NOTHING unless you press a positive rating below (I do not receive a paycheck and am only paid per question rated positively below). You can come in and ask follow up questions for several weeks after pressing a positive rating and I will be happy to further assist you if needed (your question will NOT close). Pressing a positive rating below will NOT cost you any additional money -- it is simply a trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!!

Legalease, Lawyer
Experience: 15 years exp all aspects of general law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hv little access to the internet so is there any phone numbers u can give me. I signed the divorce BC I was in contempt of court BC I refused to sign papers tht were false so on July 5 I signed so I would not go to jail. wht would happen to my attorney if I file w the Barr? I was not given spouse support alimony nothing but our house an I hv to pay for it. He is alot of the reason of my health. But since I signed days left r 5 from the 30 days. I would like to no if I can sue his girlfriend? I really need help I hv no money to pay anyone an for months I hv tried to get help everyb wants the money r says no.
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello again Maria -

-

As I said in my first answer, I cannot contact you by telephone or email or in any other way outside of this Just Answer website -- I can lose my position here if I do that and I cannot afford to lose my position !

-

Regarding your current case, as I explained earlier, you need to find another lawyer to either prepare and file with the court a Motion for Reconsideration or an Appeal to the appellate court in your state. If you can do this, then you need to file a claim against your ex husband for spousal support based upon the fact that you are disabled -- which makes a difference in a claim for spousal support and your lawyer should have brought a claim for spousal support for you in this last round -- so a new lawyer will have to review that point and try to get it reopened.

-

YOUR LAWYER: If your current lawyer has not done what you need him to do and will not assist you further - then you can file a complaint against him with the Mississippi Bar Association -- if you have problems accessing the internet websites that I directed you to above, I have gone to each of the websites and retrieved their telephone numbers and addresses for you -- for the Mississippi Bar complaint you should telephone them and ask to speak to someone in the Consumer Assistance Program (CAP) -- the telephone number is (601)(NNN) NNN-NNNNand Fax number: (601)(NNN) NNN-NNNN Their address is : 643 North State Street, Jackson Mississippi 39202. When you speak with them, ask them to MAIL to you a complaint form that you can use to file a complaint about your attorney and the services you received (and if you believe that the legal fees were too high, then please let them know what the lawyer did and how much it cost you for him to do everything & anything.

-

LEGAL ASSISTANCE: The websites that I directed you to above do not ask people for money up front -- they will take your case information (you have to explain what your case is about and ask that they direct you to someone for reconsideration from the court and/or to prepare and file an appeal of your case to at least get spousal support). If you are having problems accessing the websites I directed you to, then I will list their names and addresses and telephone numbers for you -- here they are:

-

1. Mississippi Legal Services: 1-800-498-1804. Let them know where you are located and they can give you an address for offices nearest to you in MS.

-

2. Mississippi College of Law / Mission First: These are law students working with more experienced lawyers to assist low income persons and disabled persons such as yourself. Telelphone number(NNN) NNN-NNNNand their email is info @ missionfirst org -- Their address is: 275 Roseneath Street, Jackson, MS 39205

-

3. Mississippi Volunteer Lawyer's Project -- these are volunteer lawyers from all over your state to assist with disability cases and low income cases all over the state. The telephone number is(NNN) NNN-NNNNand the fax number is(NNN) NNN-NNNNand their address is 921 North President Street Jackson MS 39215.

-

One of the agencies above should be able to assist you to find a new pro bono (free) lawyer to help you here and have the case reviewed again either at the current court level or at an appeals level.

-

I truly wish I could help you more than this and help you off the website -- but it is just impossible for me to do that --- if you contact customer service they will explain the Just Answer website rules if I am not being clear enough.

-

-

MARY