Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  14 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 24+ yrs
19958803

My ex-girlfriend and I broke up 5 years ago. To this day she

My ex-girlfriend and I broke up 5 years ago. To this day she has been harassing me. Lately the harassment has been more threatening. She has now learned that I have a girlfriend.

We both live in California. Most recently, she has: (Chronological Order)

Threatened my job, (Law enforcement agency, will make me resign.)
Threatened that I will be taken out of country by Law enforcement agency. (she is affiliated with law enforcement agency)
Threatened to sue me (miscarriage expenses from 7 years ago)
Threatened to issue a restraining order on me because she is getting "threatening phone calls" from someone. She is trying to tie me to those calls (if they even exists.) Threatens to prosecute the person making the calls and me.

I have filed for TRO. Hopefully it will be served today.

Question:

1. Should I contact her law enforcement agency to do an investigation?
2. My research indicates that she has no case for pre-birth (miscarriage) medical expenses. Is that correct?
3. Will a judge really issue a restraining order against me for someone else making "threatening" calls to ex-girlfriend? I just don't want ex-gf to start making up a bunch of stuff just to try to embarrass me at work.

Any other next-step recommendations?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
.
At this point, I don't think that would be productive as it is likely to simply escalate the situation. If you get a RO and she violates it, then you can have her criminally charged and it is likely her employer will take action on their own.
.
.
That would be correct. Until there is an actual live birth, the presumptive father has no legal obligation to the mother. Even if there was some type of written or oral contract you entered into to pay for the expenses, the statute of limitations for pursuing this is 4 years for written and only 2 years for oral. So she is well past the time for taking any kind of action.
.
.
Without some type of proof that it was actually you who was making the calls, no judge is going to issue a RO against you. Further, once you get yours in place, that will cast doubt on anything that she later tries because it will appear that she may be mentally unbalanced and is doing so out of spite.
.
If she were to make these types of unfounded accusations, that is slander and defamation and you could take legal action to sue her for punitive and compensatory damages to deter future similar behavior.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Barrister, Attorney
Experience: 14 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 24+ yrs