How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

if you file your 2009 tax return on 7/29/2013 (so filed late)

Customer Question

if you file your 2009 tax return on 7/29/2013 (so filed late) and you have a 2009 NOL can you carryback that NOL to 2007 and 20098
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. The short answer to your question is this practice is unlikely.


Pursuant to IRS Section 6511(d)(2)(A), NOLs can be carried back (and the related refund obtained or applied retroactively), if the claim is filed within 3 years of the due date for the NOL year. Since the 2009 return was filed today, it cannot be applied as it is outside of the three year statute of limitations. If the 2009 return had been filed on April 15, 2013 (National Tax Day), then it would be able to be applied retroactively. The 2009 year return was obviously due in April 2010 originally. That three years ran in April 2013 it would appear. I wish I had better news for you on this topic.


Let me know if you have any additional questions or comments.


Best wishes going forward.



Related Legal Questions