How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33159
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what can happen if you dont pay a fine for a Class 2 Misdemeanor

This answer was rated:

what can happen if you don't pay a fine for a Class 2 Misdemeanor to a state that you have move from and the violation happen 2 years ago
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
I can just tell you what generally happens in situations like this because each court may handle these things a little different. But generally, when someone has a fine due to be paid, the defendant is put on a fine payment docket where they are given a court date several months off to either have the fine paid or have to come back to court and ask for more time.
If they pay it off, then they don't have to come back. If they can't pay it off, then they have to appear in court on the assigned date and ask for more time to pay it. Generally as long as the person is trying, the judge will extend the date.
But if the person doesn't pay the fine and doesn't appear to ask for more time, then the judge will then issue a bench warrant for the defendant's arrest. The court or sheriffs don't really aggressively pursue this type of warrant and it will just sit there until the defendant comes in contact with law enforcement and they run a check. Then they will see the fugutive warrant and immediately arrest the person and take them into custody. Then they will transport them to jail to await extradition if the original state wants to come get them.
But for fines, they typically won't extradite and after the person spends a couple weeks in jail, the foreign state will release them from custody. Then the person can either return to the original state to deal with the issue or this can happen over and over again.
There is no statute of limitations on a fine or the warrant, so they will just sit there until the person eventually deals with them.






If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.


I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Barrister and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions