P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience

My husband has been dead for 20 years, I am 16 years younger

My husband has been dead for 20 years, I am 16 years younger than he was here is my question. The company he worked for which was BAE Systems offered me very good insurance, they covered my dental and prescriptions needs, recently and all of a sudden the monthly fee for my coverage was $500+. Do I have a case against them, because of
course I had to drop them, now I have no dental insurance, and my prescriptions are now covered by AARP, which is much more than I was paying. My question is Do I have a case against them for going up in my coverage. By the way my husband knew he was going to die and before he died he called them and asked how long I would be covered and they said "for as long as I lived".
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Ma'am, I am very sorry to have to bear bad news. Unless the pension plan he is a member of has a clause that guarantees that premiums can not be raised, you will not have a case. And it is highly unlikely such a clause was in the plan.

What you describe is common. And happening more and more.

Pension plans are struggling to continue to provide benefits in the face of rising costs. This is particularly true for medical and dental benefits. And so, in order to keep the pensions solvent (avoid wiping out the entire pension plan) most pensions plans are forced to increase premiums.

This is happening across the board, from large pension plans to smaller ones.

It is not a violation of the pension plan to raise costs if raising costs is required to keep the plan solvent.

Again, I am sorry to have to bear bad news ma'am, but you will not be able to sue them for this

Please let me know if you have more questions, happy to assist if I can

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello, Your effort for me was satisfactory, You said "I would not be able to sue" I don't like it, but it is what it is.

Thank you for your effort

Judy O'Brien

yes ma'am

Best of luck with this