Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

This is a follow up question. Since the defendants attorney

This is a follow up question.

Since the defendant's attorney has no response to phone calls and letter requesting mediation from plaintiff's attorney, plaintiff's attorney filed a motion requesting the defendant to respond (about mediation) by Aug 5. By the way, from the prevous hearing, the judge required mediation and evidence collection. The defendant's attorney already sent email claiming his client is having "fairly significant health problem". It sounds like the defendant will ask for the delay of mediation. What the plaintiff (or his attorney) should do at this time?

Asking the judge to waive mediation and ask for a hearing without mediation?
Will the judge likely to grant for example a couple of months to see how the defendant's health problem improve or not? What if the defendant cannot provide proof of terminal illness.
Thank you for your new question.

You can forget about mediation about if the defendant is not going to cooperate. This defendant has not cooperated from the beginning. At this point if the defendant attorney tries to continue mediation I would suggest filing to forgo mediation and would suggest forcing the matter to trial, since all this defendant is doing is trying to cost you money in legal fees and hoping you will go away.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So, if the defendant answers the plaintiff's motion (setting deadline of answering the mediation) by citing the health problem to request delay of mediation, my attorney should file a motion requesting moving straightforward to hearing. I do not like mediation at the beginning. It is just judge's requirement. I hope the judge waive the mediation and move to hearing. If the judge still wants mediation, he should give an order to set deadline for mediation, right?

Thank you for your follow up.

Yes, if the defendant tries to make excuses about his health preventing mediation, you get your attorney to file to push the matter to trial.