Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I live in NJ. Recently my ex-girlfriend complained that someone

I live in NJ. Recently my ex-girlfriend complained that someone tried to hack into her Facebook account. Their was a fictitious email made that had her ex boyfriend's name in it (ex boyfriend before me) Then she says the she hired a private investigator and he traced the IP address to my town. (I live 45 minutes away and she doesn't know anyone around here) I really don't know what's going on, because she never lies nor exaggerates. I live by myself. Now she says that she is going to bring charges against me. Who ever tried to hack her account did not succeed. If they say it came from my house, than I don't know how that can be, unless someone she knows parked in front of my house and hacked into my wireless router. That seems extreme even for me. But I know I didn't do it, and I was the only one home, and the router has one of those long number and letter types. My question is, if I can't successfully defend myself, what am I looking at?
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
First off, you don't have to prove that you didn't do it. A DA would have to prove that you did and these kinds of cases are very expensive to take to trial because the DA has to hire computer experts in order to pursue their case.
.
So this is very unlikely that even if your ex took some kind of evidence to the DA that they would file charges. It simply isn't a big enough crime to get their attention and justify the use of the resources to pursue it.
.
But assuming that the DA did take an interest, he could charge you with "wire fraud" or "computer fraud" if the computers were in different states. If everything is in the same state, this wouldn't apply. The other potential charge would be identity theft, which can be charged as a felony..
.
However, although these are possibilities, as I said, the odds of a prosecutor picking up this case after a private complaint is filed is virtually zero unless the "victim" is a high profile person or celebrity.
.
BotXXXXX XXXXXne is that I wouldn't worry too much about it and make sure your wireless router is password XXXXX from now on.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help. Yes we are both in NJ. I assume she can file a civil complaint, but I take it she probably wouldn't win? Same thing as far as a lawsuit?

Ok, then that kicks everything out except identity theft. But yes, in order to win a civil suit, she would have to prove that you did it first and then that she suffered some kind of monetary damages. Since this was just an attempt and was unsuccessful, she hasn't suffered any damages. The fact that she hired someone to track the IP address (allegedly) wouldn't be damages caused by the act itself.
.
You never know, she could be making the whole thing up because I have actually tried to get IP addresses before from large companies like Time Warner and Comcast and they told me that even with a subpoena that they don't log those and keep them unless they are instructed to do so as part of an investigation.
.
So I find the likelihood that she was able to do so from an isolated incident like this to be a bit unbelievable personally and I think she may be making some of this up just to see your reaction.
.
.
Thanks

Thanks so much for the positive rating and generous bonus, it is very much appreciated!

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. Please feel free to ask for me if you need help with anything in the future and I will do everything I can to help or get you to someone who can.

.